KaliSara and RevKess find themselves once again delving into a dark and touchy subject. That of child molestation and abuse. Earlier this year they talked frankly about predators in the Pagan community after the news broke that well known author, musician, and teacher Kenny Klein had been arrested on over 20 counts of possession of child pornography, with the intent to distribute. That lead to his ex-wife Tzipora Katz and their son Jo Pax visiting with Ariel Monserrat of Green Egg Magazine during a special live broadcast of the Green Egg Radio Hour here on the Pagan-Musings Podcast Channel. Earlier this month it was brought back into the world view of fandom and Pagandom that author Marion Zimmer Bradley was also involved in such activities.
Marion Zimmer Bradley, author of such books as Darkover and Mists of Avalon (and their related series), famed science fiction and fantasy author, died in 1999. Fifteen years later her books are still successful and influential to both the sci-fi/fantasy community (the fandom) and to the Pagan community. Co-founder of the Society for Creative Anachronisms, she is lauded by thousands as an influential figure in the latter half of the 20th Century. But she had a dark side, not the least of which being married to Walter Breen, known pedophile and child abuser.
Below you will find links to articles, accounts, and other information pertaining specifically to MZB and to Kenny Klein. You will also find links to previous broadcasts on PMPChannel related to the topics of abuse, ethics, and how they effect the Pagan community.
At the time of this posting RevKess is awaiting a statement from Diana L. Paxson, the author who has continued the Darkover and Mists of Avalon series since MZB’s passing. Paxson was a friend as a well as a professional associate of MZB.
Marion Zimmer Bradley
- Wikipedia’s entry for Marion Zimmer Bradley.
- Wikipedia’s entry for Walter Breen.
- One of the most complete online archives of information about Walter Breen, the Breendoggle can be found here.
- Jason Pitzl-Waters, on 23 June 2014, posted this link filed article to the Wild Hunt.
- On TeleRead, contributor Paul St. John Mackintosh posted this article on 11 June about Moira Greyland’s recent revelations regarding her mother’s involvement in child molestation.
- On 3 June 2014, blogger Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote about MZB and a now unavailable article on Tor.com that was posted to that site on MZB’s birthday.
- Deirdre follow up her posting on 10 June with a quoted email from Moira Greyland and included to poems she had written about her mother.
- SFF.net, a resource for fiction genre authors and their fans, has a timeline and database of information on MZB and Breen.
- Writer Jim C. Hines shares about his own professional relationship with MZB and how these allegations reflect on the writing community.
- Janni Lee Simner, another author, add to the conversation on Desert Dispatches.
- Graphic novelist Colleen Doran, A Distant Soil, writes about why she feels even more justified now in the burning of her copies of MZB’s books when these allegations first came to light in 2000.
- Natalie Luhrs wrote on The Radish about the fallacies communities will create or embrace to explain away, ignore, or otherwise turn a blind eye.
- Mainstream media did get involved in the conversation. The Washington Post. The Guardian. Even Entertainment Weekly.
- KaliSara and RevKess’s first episode regarding Kenny Klein and the charges of possession of child pornography with intent to distribute.
- Pagan-Musings Podcast Channel played host The Green Egg Radio Hour with their special guests Tzipora Katz and Jo Pax to talk frankly about their lives with Kenny Klein. Tzipora is his exwife, Jo is his son.
- RevKess and KaliSara did a follow up episode as a second part to the sex abuse and ethics in the Pagan community.
Separating the Artist from the Art
- Guardian columnist and author, Damien G. Walter, posed the question “Can we separate the art from the artist?“
- On the Observation Deck, lightninglouie posed the same question in their article “When your favorite writer is an asshole.”
- Brian Henke – Dancing with the Child in You – A Child’s Garden
- Avalon Rising – God Walks Among Us – Songs off the Goddess: A Pagan Music Compilation
- Cernunnos Rising – Wise Old Yew – Urban Druid
A note about the music: The music choices had nothing to do with the topic.
RevKess and KaliSara would like to thank Shauna Aura Knight for her contribution in the second half of this episode.