Join me on Facebook, Sunday, Feb 8, 2015, from 5-8pm CST, for the release of my book, The ABC Book of Goddesses. I will be available online to answer any questions you might have, or to direct you to sites where you can purchase either the ebook or the paperback.
Monthly Archives: February 2015
PWN 2015.2.1: Climate Change & Paganism
For 2015 the Pagan Weekly News seems to have a theme of tackling broad and controversial topics. This week’s edition is no exception. RevKess and KaliSara have their passions. Environmentalism and conservation could be said to be on their mutual list of passions.
KaliSara is very passionate about the topic of Climate Change. In this week’s PWN she and RevKess attempt to tackle that hot (no pun intended) topic. With humor and good natured debate, they do just that.
“We’re not going to destroy the world, we just won’t be here.” – KaliSara
In 2006 former Vice President Al Gore published his book on environmentalism and climate change, An Inconvenient Truth. This launched a very public debate about climate change and brought out the climate deniers. Both hosts have read the book and seen the film based on the book.
A year before, feminist and environmentalist witch Starhawk released her The Earth Path. Another book that both hosts have read. In Starhawk’s book she talks about living off the grid, getting in touch with the Earth and respecting the Earth.
Through out the show KaliSara and RevKess talked about fracking and the dwindling supply of such fossil fuels as oil and coal. They also spoke of alternative energy sources such as solar, wind, and hydro-electric.
Along the way KaliSara brought up chaos theory and how sometimes the simplest act can change the world. Referring to the “butterfly effect” as describe in Jurassic Park they addressed some of the cause and effect of human practices on our environment. Time did not allow for a full discussion of how the “little things” we do to conserve Mother Earth can have a true effect on our future.
On the individual level, we can install solar panels, wind turbines, and hydro-electric systems in our homes or on our land. Starhawk, for example, uses both solar and hydro power to electrify her home. When RevKess asked KaliSara what the likelihood of her installing such alternative power sources on her own property would be she responded “100%”. These are little things, in the grand scheme. But if more and more people took these options we could see some effect on the lifespan o the human race on this planet. Like the cartoon to the right says, despite everything we do to destroy or heal the Earth, it will still be here when we are gone.
On a larger level, many businesses and even governments are beginning to install solar, wind, and hydro power sources on buildings and large plots of land. Despite what some “experts” claim, these alternatives do not take away from the resources – the Sun’s power is limitless (by human standards), nothing can truly stop the wind, water will still flow. Ever been to a large city with high rise buildings? The wind gets channeled between those buildings and if anything gets stronger through that channeling.
- Burlington, VT uses alternative/renewable energy to supply power to the people.
- Denmark is the first country to use alternative power to supply electricity to its citizens.
- Alternative energy sources expected to go down up to 40% in cost of production.
- 5 countries making head way toward alternative sources.
“One of the worst things to happen to the topic of climate change is the phrase global warming.” – KaliSara
- In 2012, an article on Keystone XL Pipeline and Tar Sands Expansion.
- The Kalamazoo River oil spill.
- Venice is sinking.
- Climate change is happening faster than predicted.
“Not enough of our society is trained how to understand and interpret quantitative information…” – Neil deGrasse Tyson
- Celia – Tell Us What You’re Growing – digital single
- Arthur Hinds – The Water’s Rising – Dance in the Fire
- Cernunnos Rising – Greenman (Last Tree Falling) – Wild Soul
PMP: Wiccanate Privilege
KaliSara and RevKess are joined by Shauna Aura Knight and Arthur for a discussion of privilege, especially Wiccanate privilege. Shauna has written many articles on privilege, Wiccanate and color/race based privilege. Arthur has been an advocate for non-gender binary practices in both spirituality and the general culture.
It is unfortunate that this topic still needed to be addressed. The conversation was huge on the Pagan blogosphere four years ago and hasn’t gone away yet. It comes and goes, sometimes heated and sometimes ust briefly mentioned along the way to discussing other topics.
What is Wiccanate or Wiccan privilege? The assumption that all Pagans are Wiccans or at least adhere to some form of Wiccan structure and “doctrine”. The only “doctrine” or firm ethical guideline that Wiccans follow is the Rede, and they can’t even completely agree on what it means. This and other similar “golden rules” can be constraining to some who are not Wiccan, or for that matter even to some Wiccans.
“Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will.” – The Book of the Law
Privilege can be addressed through many avenues. The most important thing to remember is that many people who have privilege don’t even know it. There is white privilege, money privilege, male privilege. These thee forms of privilege are quite obvious to those who don’t have it. But those who do, don’t always see it. One of the most insulting things to do is say that the other side of the privilege has comparable privilege. It is like telling a person of color that they have “black privilege” or telling a poor person that they have “wellfare privilege”.
Links on Privilege – in no particular order
- An overview of the Wiccanate Privilege discussion at PantheaCon 2014
- Gus diZerega discusses privilege, part two, part three
- Aedicula Antinoi responds
- Don Frew’s guest post on diZerega’s blog
- Sable Aradia brings a Wiccan perspective to the topic of Wiccan Privilege
- M Macha Nightmare writes on Wiccan Privilege
- A Hellenismos perspective on interfaith and privilege
- The Mistress of the Hearth says “Wiccan bias” is a better term
- Benny Bargas writes on equality and privilege
- A vlog on Wiccan privilege from a reconstructionist perspective
- A Druid’s perspective
- From a self described Reclaiming warlock
- Thorn Coyle writes on White Privilege
Your hosts invite you to listen to a recent episode of the Pagan Weekly News to get more perspectives on privilege. On Thursday 29 January 2015 KaliSara and RevKess tackled controversial issues within the Pagan community. The topic of privilege, especially in regards to Wiccanate and White privilege, were touched upon in that edition of PWN.
- Celia – Please Bless This Place – Carry Me Home
- Jenna Greene – Believe – Crossroads
- Wendy Rule – Circle Song – The Wolf Sky
MMM: Brighid’s Mess
Sunday 1 February 2015 was Murphy’s Magic Mess‘s Brigid’s Day show. Murf, *K8, Phil put together an amazing collection of Imbolc and Brighid music with a small set devoted to Manannan mac Lir and his stolen statue.
- Brid – Beverly Frederick – Through the Darkness
- Holy Well, Sacred Flame – Beverly Frederick – Through the Darkness
- Battle for Neverland (remix) – Erik Scott – Spirits
- Firelight – Terra Guitarra – Firelight
- Elven Dance – Timothy Wenzel – Summon the Wind
- Asana Single Shot #1 – David Vito Gregoli – Yogi Heart Healing Single Shots
- Om Hari Om 1 – Tim Jordan Kirtan Project – Heart and Spirit
- Drums for the Dragon – James Asher & Sandeep Raval – Drum Travel
- Childhood/Imbolc – Kay Gardner’s Oratorio – Ouroboros
- Brighde, Our Lady – Janna Runnalls – Return to the Goddess
- Blessing and Decent of the Goddess Bridget – The Moors – The Moors
- Bridget – Ruth Barrett & Cynthia Smith – The heart is the only nation
- Brighid – Damh the Bard – Antlered Crown and Standing Stone
- Song for Bridghid – Featherscale – Gypsy Heart
- Brighid’s Flame – Kellianna – Elemental
- Ys – Alan Stivell – Renaissance of the Irish Harp
- Manannan Mac Lir – Maire Breatnach – Voyage of Bran
- Song for Manannan – Cilia – (single)
- We Remember – Amergyn – Songs of Mysts and Moon
- Brighid – Chronilus – Threshold
- Stories of Brigid/Brighid of the Sacred Waters – Phil Kessler, Celia, Selena Fox, Literata Hurley – (unreleased Mess Exclusive)
- Imbolc – Cernunnos Rising – Wild Soul
Tune in on 8 February for a special edition of The Mess. KZUM‘s Spring Fund Drive began on Thursday the 5th. Murf and her Minions are putting together some of their favorites and some of the best of Pagan and New Age music. Might even have a surprise or two in store for the listeners!