For the fifth year in a row Phil cobbled together a Blues program to fill the time slot for Murphy’s Magic Mess on KZUM. Every Labor Day Weekend KZUM preempts all programming for 83 hours of Blues. In the past this has been more of a challenge for Phil and the rest of the Mess, this year was different. The challenge was to whittle it down to two hours of music. Didn’t quite happen that way, he had 2 hours and 27 minutes of music and Murf joined the fun with another 47 minutes of music. Clearly not everything on their lists got played.
Kate was off for the weekend attending a family gathering. Michelle and her husband stopped in briefly to share the fun of Murf’s birthday.
The following is the played list of music.
MUSIC for 31 August 2014
- Outside the Blues – The Bodhi Brothers – Organically Grown
- Movin’ Out Blues – North Sound – Jazz Wolf
- I Wanted You to Walk (Right Thru That Door) – Candye Kane – Comin’ Out Swingin’
- City Streets – Lisa Hilton – Getaway
- Los Angeles Blues – Ciro Hurtado – Los Angeles Blues
- Homeless Blues – Linda Herschorn – Roots and Wings
- Cello Noodle 3-1-14 – Betsy Tinney – unreleased
- Boston + Blues – Lisa Hilton – Getaway
- The Devil is an Angel Too – Janiva Magness – Bury Him at the Crossroads
- Bury Him at the Crossroads – Janiva Magness – Bury Him at the Crossroads
- History of the World – Coyote Poets – Pandora’s Box
- I Got the Will (But I Can’t Find My Way) – Etta James – Seven Year Itch
- Celluloid Heroes – Blackmore’s Night – Autumn Sky
- Skye Boat Blues – Tuatha Dea – Kith & Kin
- Reincarnation Blues – Skypilot – Under the Radar
- Working Girl Blues – Reel World String Band – Mountain Songs
- Talking Wheelchair Blues – Fred Small – Heart of the Appaloosa
- Howie’s Norvegian Bluess – Tom Smith – And They Say I’ve Got Talent
- Overflowin’ Cat Box Blues – Cynthia McQuillan – Bedlam Cats
- I Used to be a Powerful Priestess – Leigh Ann Hussey – Homebrew (radio edit)
- Hoopty Blues – Murphey’s Midnight Rounders – Running on Empty
- Black Swan Blues – SJ Tucker – Stolen Season Sneak Peaks EP
- Blood and Bones – Coyote Poets – Pandora’s Box
On Sunday 7 September 2014 we’ll return with our usual Mess of music and fun, plus the second half of the SJ Tucker and Betsy Tucker interview from 19 August.