KaliSara and RevKess talk gem and crystal magick on this week’s edition of the Pagan-Musings Podcast. This topic was requested by listeners. Neither host is an expert in the field, but both have personal experience working with gems, crystals, stones, and metals (minerals) in their magickal practices.
Listeners are encourage to suggest topics for the show. Listeners can also make recommendations for potential guests, or maybe even become guests themselves. Such suggestions can be made through the Facebook page for the show or through email.
Stones talked about during the show
- Tiger Iron: Composed of golden tiger eye, red jasper, and black hematite. Tiger Iron combines the qualities of these three minerals. It can also be used to assist in creative endeavors, prompting the artistic abilities toward wondrous beauty and works. [paraphrased from Love is in the Earth]
- Mugglestone: According to www.ravenandcrone.com, mugglestone is ” also called Tiger Iron is a grounding stone that also brings protection, especially protection from danger. It is also a stone of clarity, particularly clarity of knowledge, enabling one to see the truth below the apparent surface of issues. Mugglestone also helps with creative endeavors and all types of artistic abilities. It is used to bring strength, vitality, confidence, willpower, and balance. It is an excellent stone for people wishing to bring more motivation to their lives. In folklore and crystal healing lore, Mugglestone is said to balance white and red blood cells, increase natural steroids, and improve muscular structure, and help with healing legs, sexual organs, liver, and the nervous system. Mugglestone harmonizes well with garnet, golden labradorite and all members of the quartz and jasper family. Mugglestone is related to the sacral, solar plexus and root chakras. Mugglestone is a combination of hematite, red jasper, and sometimes yellow jasper or golden tiger eye.”
- Malachite: “[I]s a powertful stone but one that needs to be handled with caution. It is best used under the supervision of a qualified crystal therapist. It is toxic and should be used only in its polished form. Avoid breathing its dust [....] Malachite amplifies both positive and negative energies. It grounds spiritual energies onto the planet. It is believed by some people hat malachite is still evolving and will be one of the most important healing stones of the” current age. [The Crystal Bible]
Crystal Grids can be used for many reasons and may be as elaborate or as simple as the practitioner prefers. Photo from http://newworldgifts.net
- Selenite/Selenium: Sometimes called TV stone as it was used to make the screens of the older style tube TVs. “Selenite is a calm stone that instills deep peace and is excellent for meditation or spiritual work. Telepathy is enhanced by each person holding a piece of pure-vibration selenite.” [The Crystal Bible] RevKess mentioned during the show that he has used selenite to treat muscle issues in his back.
- Clear quartz: One of the most commonly found and used stones, quartz in its clear form is a universal stone. It can be used for healing, grounding, cleansing, psychic work and so much more. Clear or rose quartz can be placed on electronics to help balance the electromagnetic fields. Quartz, in its many variations, has 53 pages devoted to its uses and properties in Melody’s book.
- Obsidian: This tone is volcanic glass. It comes in many colors, each having slightly different properties. “The intrinsic properties of the numerous forms of obsidian include the reflection of ones flaws and the promotion of a clear picture of the changes which are necessary to eliminate the flaws. The energies of obsidian produce blunt answers, focusing ones inner vision and, actually, stimulating a picture or vision of the required course of action.” [Love is in the Earth]
- Onyx: Onyx can be found in many colors including black, gray, white, blue, brown, yellow and red. “Onyx is a secretive stone that assists in keeping your own counsel. However, onyx is said to hold the memories of things that have happened to the wearer. It can be used for psychometry, telling the story to those who are sensitive to irs vibrations.” [The Crystal Bible]
- Garnet: “Named for the seed of the pomegranate, granatum, it is said to be good luck to be given a garnet but bad luck to steal one. Five hundred years ago it was used to drive off phantoms and demonds. Garnet is a powerfully energizing stone that protects you, and is said to warn of approaching danger, but draws harm to enemies.” [Encyclopedia of Crystals]
- Lapis Lazuli: A dark blue stone with flecks of gold, lapis lazuli is perhaps most known for its use by the ancient Egyptians, the blue markings on the face of Tutankhamun’s funeral mask are inlays of lapis. Lapis resembles the night sky and perhaps is assoiciated with Nuit, Goddess of the night sky, and her Babylonian counterpart Ishtar. Lapis is RevKess’s “power stone”.
Metals are also powerful tools for magick. According to The White Goddess website, there are seven noble metals that were used by the ancients. These metals are copper, iron, gold, silver, lead, tin, and electrum. The latter being a naturally occurring alloy of silver and gold and contains the properties of both.
Copper: Use copper in rituals, spells and amulets to promote love, sensuality, friendship, positive relationships of any kind, negotiations and peace.
Iron: Use Iron in rituals, spells and amulets to promote energy, strength, determination, will-power, assertivity and aggression, fertility-rites, beginnings and undertakings, speed, power and courage.
Gold: Use the metal gold or the colour gold in rituals/spells concerning Sun-deities, the male force, authority, self-confidence, creativity, financial riches, investments, ,fortune, hope, worldly and magical power. Wear golden jewellery to improve self-confidence and inner strength.
Silver: Use the metal or the colour silver in rituals, spells or talismans concerning Moon-goddesses, the female force, cycles, emotional and/or hormonal imbalances, reflecting or neutralizing negativity, dreams and intuition, psychic work and psychic abilities.
Lead: Use lead in rituals, spells and amulets to promote contact with deep unconscious levels (the underworld), deep meditation, banishing negativity, breaking bad habits and addictions, protection, stability, grounding, solidity, perseverance, decisiveness, concentration, conservation, and material constructions (buildings, etc.)
Tin: Use Tin in rituals/spells promoting abundance, prosperity, success in business and in legal matters, stimulation, attracting what you desire, energy, healing, regeneration and rejuvenation.
- Lia Scallon - Walk in Beauty – The Luminous Pearl
- Cernunnos Rising – Urban Druid – Urban Druid
- Paradiso & Rasamayi – Harmonic Ascension – Attuning to Oneness
- Frenchy and the Punk – She Was a Flapper – Bonjour Batfrog