Just over two and a half years into the series, Lavender Hill has finally moved to a full hour time slot. Still airing at 11am on Sundays, but now running until noon. With the additional half hour we can bring you more news and more music. Even with the additional half hour, there is rarely enough time to cover all the news.
Corwin and Phil are very pleased with the change in time slot and format. They hope the listeners are as well. The show is available in podcast on Phil’s podcast stream (click image to the left) and this edition is also available as a video on YouTube, an experiment of Phil’s. And of course, listen live on Sundays at 11am CT at KZUM-HD 89.3FM in Lincoln, NE or online at the KZUM website.
Below you will find links to the stories we covered as well as some “bonus” links to stories we did not have time for. You will also find the music list from the show with links (when possible) to the artists’ websites.
- In California, the Arcadia school district ends its investigation into a case of transgender discrimination.
- The United Nations unveils their human rights office campaign for gay rights.
- LGBTQNation.com has their own coverage.
- Press release from the UN.
- Russia declares war on gays.
- Extremists use social media to target and attack LGBT youth.
- Retired Bishop Desmond Tutu says he would rather go to hell than a homophobic heaven.
- Coverage from the Washington Times.
- Coverage from the Huffington Post.
- Zimbabwe’s president Robert Mugabe restates his stance on homosexuality, saying that gays should be beheaded.
- Retired Methodist ministers say they will break with the church and perform same-sex marriages.
- Dominique Morgan – Right Thru Me – A Thin Line Between Love & Hate
- Mary Lambert – She Keeps Me Warm
- Pentatonix – Wizard of Ahhhs –
- The Clincher – Imperfect Form – The Sickness is Evolving
- Jewish “ex-gay” group JONAH on trial for fraud in New Jersey.
- WWII code breaker Alan Turing – Should he be pardoned for “gross indecency”? In case you don’t know who Turing was, you wouldn’t be reading this electronic posting without his contributions to computer technology.
- OutServe-SLDN declares bankruptcy and closes headquarters.
- More turmoil for OutServe-SLDN as transgender group splinters off and forms SPART*A.
- Allyson Robinson resigned as executive director of OutServe-SLDN effective July 12, 2013.
- OS-SLDN announces they are move from their primary goal of offering legal services towards member services and advocacy.
- The battle for marriage equality might not be over in California as county clerks try to sue for the right to refuse issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples, but the courts say no to their suits.
- Bosnia and Herzegovina likely to outlaw incitement to hate crimes against LGBT people.
- Mayor of Vancouver speaks out against Russia‘s anti-gay stance as the 2014 Olympic games draw nearer in Sochi.
- It is a crime to report pedophile priests in Vatican City.
- Transgender couple transitions together.
- LGBT youth receive offer of help from Catholic hospital.