On 14 July 2013, Corwin and Phil hosted the 124th edition of Lavender Hill on KZUM in Lincoln, NE. This was their post-Star City Pride show. During the show they talked about their experiences at SCP as well as covered several stories from the news that effect the LGBTQA community. *K8 (a fellow minion on Murphy’s Magic Mess) sat in on the show and can be heard laughing at Corwin and Phil’s banter in the background as well as makes a few comments along the way.
Before we get into everything we talked about on the show, Phil wanted to mention that he has been playing catch up on some sound editing for The Wimmins Show. You can catch podcasts of three new segments from TWS. Women Out Loud with Amy Plettner, an acoustic session with Claudia Nygaard and right after this edition of Lav Hill, indie rock group Lakookala.
Stories and Links
- Star City Pride 2013: No Labels
- Lincoln Fairness Ordinance still tabled. The Lincoln Fairness Ordinance was passed by the City Council late in the spring of 2012. Unfortunately, the conservative citizens of Lincoln banded together and put through a petition that forced the ordinance to be tabled until such a time as it could be added to a general ballot. That’s not going to happen this fall and it is anyone’s guess when it will make it to the ballot. Some feel that the debacle with Charlie Rogers last summer may be one reason for the delay.
- Orson Scott Card’s book Ender’s Game is going to the big screen. Many in the LGBTQ community are calling for a boycott of the film because of the author’s anti-gay statements. The director and stars of the film respond to his comments at this year’s Comic Con.
- The future of same-sex marriage bans in the remaining 37 states seems uncertain as a lesbian couple brings an adoption case to the courts.
- Indiana reminds its citizens that performing same-sex marriages can lead to felony charges being brought against clergy and their churches. GLAAD has more information.
- Two bone marrow transplant/cancer patients with a history of HIV have been found to be apparently free of the virus.
- The president of Zimbabwe tells gays and lesbians to “get married or go to prison”, saying that they must fulfill the traditional rolls and get married and have children.
- The International Olympic Committee is looking hard at Russia’s new laws that ban pro-gay statements as a number of out athletes prepare to go to Russia for the Games.
- Rufus Wainright – Somewhere Over the Rainbow – (live) House of Rufus (2011)
- Me’Shell NdegeOcello – A Tear and a Smile – Peace Beyond Passion