KaliSara and RevKess are joined by Shauna Aura Knight and Arthur for a discussion of privilege, especially Wiccanate privilege. Shauna has written many articles on privilege, Wiccanate and color/race based privilege. Arthur has been an advocate for non-gender binary practices in both spirituality and the general culture.
It is unfortunate that this topic still needed to be addressed. The conversation was huge on the Pagan blogosphere four years ago and hasn’t gone away yet. It comes and goes, sometimes heated and sometimes ust briefly mentioned along the way to discussing other topics.
What is Wiccanate or Wiccan privilege? The assumption that all Pagans are Wiccans or at least adhere to some form of Wiccan structure and “doctrine”. The only “doctrine” or firm ethical guideline that Wiccans follow is the Rede, and they can’t even completely agree on what it means. This and other similar “golden rules” can be constraining to some who are not Wiccan, or for that matter even to some Wiccans.
“Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law, love under will.” – The Book of the Law
Privilege can be addressed through many avenues. The most important thing to remember is that many people who have privilege don’t even know it. There is white privilege, money privilege, male privilege. These thee forms of privilege are quite obvious to those who don’t have it. But those who do, don’t always see it. One of the most insulting things to do is say that the other side of the privilege has comparable privilege. It is like telling a person of color that they have “black privilege” or telling a poor person that they have “wellfare privilege”.
Links on Privilege – in no particular order
- An overview of the Wiccanate Privilege discussion at PantheaCon 2014
- Gus diZerega discusses privilege, part two, part three
- Aedicula Antinoi responds
- Don Frew’s guest post on diZerega’s blog
- Sable Aradia brings a Wiccan perspective to the topic of Wiccan Privilege
- M Macha Nightmare writes on Wiccan Privilege
- A Hellenismos perspective on interfaith and privilege
- The Mistress of the Hearth says “Wiccan bias” is a better term
- Benny Bargas writes on equality and privilege
- A vlog on Wiccan privilege from a reconstructionist perspective
- A Druid’s perspective
- From a self described Reclaiming warlock
- Thorn Coyle writes on White Privilege
Your hosts invite you to listen to a recent episode of the Pagan Weekly News to get more perspectives on privilege. On Thursday 29 January 2015 KaliSara and RevKess tackled controversial issues within the Pagan community. The topic of privilege, especially in regards to Wiccanate and White privilege, were touched upon in that edition of PWN.
- Celia – Please Bless This Place – Carry Me Home
- Jenna Greene – Believe – Crossroads
- Wendy Rule – Circle Song – The Wolf Sky