The Pagan Weekly News for thursday 29 January 2015 found RevKess and KaliSara trying to tackle the general theme of Controversy in the Pagan World. Not an easy task. They began with a brief conversation about political conroversies in the United States and moved on talking about the stolen and desecrated statue of Manannan mac Lir in Ireland before moving into talk about #BlackLivesMatter and the Covenant of the Goddess missteps in addressing that theme.
- If Jeb Bush runs for President in 2016 he has to deal with gay bears owning a domain that he would normally want to use.
- House Republicans propose bill that would mandate ultrasounds before abortions.
MANANNAN mac LIR
- The BBC reports on a statue of Manannan mac Lir being stolen.
- BBC reports local police are looking at religious link to the theft.
- Irish Pagan priest calls the theft a religiously motivated hate crime.
- Pagan musician and activist, Celia, writes and records a song for Manannan in short order.
#BLACKLIVESMATTER & COVENANT of the GODDESS
- Covenant of the Goddess and other Pagan organizations release statements on racism in November and December of 2014, in response to repeated reports of police brutality and excessive force.
- Peter Dybing, writing on his personal blog Pagan in Paradise, issued a social indictment of CoG. That post has since been removed from his site. An earlier post on the topic of #BlackLivesMatter and the CoG statement cane be found here.
- CoG issued a revised statement pending consensus vote in August 2015.
- Peter Dybing writes again on the issue of minorities in Paganism.
- Coverage from The Wild Hunt
- Torn Coyle writes about racism
- Shauna Aura Knight writes about racism in Paganism
- Shauna Aura Knight, on PaganActivist.com, admits she is a racist
TWO EVENTS on the SAME DAY in the SAME REIGION
- This one didn’t make it onto the show. Heartland Spirit Festival has competition with the new Gathering of Pagan Souls on Memorial Weekend outside Kansas City.
OTHER PAGAN NEWS
- Kickstarting the 2015 Pagan festival season
- Sam Webster writes on magic(k) vs. religion
- Nebraska Wiccan Church and other community notes from The Wild Hunt
- Cara Schulz begins a series on building Pagan temples and infrastructures
- Heartbeat – Warrior Within
- Celia – Song for Manannan – digital single
- Wendy Rule – Creator Destroyer – The Wolf Sky